Thursday, November 10, 2016

Have your say! - The psychology behind irrational decisions

From: Miriam Amor
Date: Wed, Nov 9, 2016
Subject: The psychology behind irrational decisions


Hi everybody,

As it is my turn to post a link in the Have to say! activity, I would like to share with you one video that uses some of my favorite topics: statistics and psychology, to briefly explain our irrational decisions.

The trainer is Sara Garofalo, and it is also one of the TED talks. It is easily to follow and understandable for everybody.

You may wonder, what is the role of stats on our decisions? In the video it is explained that the most likely positive result for us, usually mismatch with our immediate decision; specially in terms of economics. We are both rational and instinctive being and, although our mind would think the opposite, the outcome of decisions we make following our gut may be not the same than the one using our math knowledge.

Isn't it amazing? Hope you to enjoy it.



4 comments:

  1. Hi guys!!
    I like this kind of subject where you can realise how our mind works and also what its weaknesses are!! It was really nice to find out that I was right choosing opcion A, during the explanation of probability with the colors on the cube face's.
    Enjoy the video and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree with Sara. I have never thought how my brain works when a quick decision should be taken. Due to my job, I`m a maths teacher, I use the heuristic method in my class to solve problems but from now on, I am going to tell my pupils that in a real life when they have to take a decision they should pause for a second and analyze everything. Intuitive answers sometimes are right but sometimes are wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the video very much! I agree with Miriam, we are both rational and instinctive (emotional, in my opinion) being. The best is to know how to combine both or to use one of them depending on the situation.
    In my case in some moments of my life I was driven by reason and in others by intuition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the video! It's very interisting and surprising. People ususally think we are very rational, but, actually we are much more instintctive we believe.Thank you very much, Miriam.

    ReplyDelete